Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Random Observations About My Life

* I have new neighbors. I was very concerned about my new neighbors. They are a group of 4 20-ish year old guys. Who have a rock band. In the basement. Oh. Yay. They are a bit rough-around-the-edges looking when they are outside having a smoke. I've talked to them a few times, though, and they're a pretty good group. They're really cute about asking if their music is bothering me, and they told me that they end their sessions early because they "live in a nice neighborhood now." Anyway, 2 of them were asking me about Sean's truck the other day, which is currently all taken apart in my garage. We're talking, he took the frigging bumpers off, the exhaust system is in pieces, etc. So those 2 are all excited to talk to Sean about his truck because they have old F-250s as well, same year I think, and they even volunteered to help him work on it. Hallelujah! For the price of a couple twelve packs of beer I could have this thing out of my garage before Halloween if I play my cards right.

* A crazy man at Sam's Club told me he really liked my hair. I do not have the type of hair that stops strangers in their tracks... My hair has 2 settings: "bad hair day" and "forgettable". Even if I hadn't noticed that he was a bit off, telling me I had nice hair would have been a sure tip-off.

* I love my kids. I love my job. I hate working with teenagers all day and then coming home and dealing with teenager-ness at home. I feel bad for my girls, though, most of all. My threshold for teenagery whining, complaining, or eye rolling is so low that I lose it pretty quickly. I go from 0 to Bill Cosby (don't you roll those eyes at me I'll roll that head of yours right onto the floor) in about 5.4 seconds flat.

* I started using the elliptical again. After my surgery this summer I wasn't allowed to exercise until August, and then I still didn't really feel well enough. So I'm finally back into it, and it never fails... like 2 days after I start exercising and trying to eat better, I'm like... hey, I should have lost 2 lbs by now... and getting all discouraged when I've instead gained a pound. I joined a gym when I was 16 because I loved to lift weights and do aerobics (I know, right? What happened to me? 4 kids, that's what.) My point is, I'm not new to the gig. I know how long it takes to see results... yet here I am still expecting miracles. What, I've been exercising for 3 days now and haven't dropped a pants size? I'm giving up and eating a donut! But, I decided that with the stress I am currently under, it's either exercise or heavy drinking. So I went with the exercise. For now.

* I love going to garage sales. It's like a giant treasure hunt. Currently I'm looking for books for school. I found some cute baby clothes last weekend for Lexi for 25 cents. I bought 4 items. I'm all picking through... "Oh, this dress is cute, but I don't know..." And then I got home and thought, "Well, crap, it was 25 cents! Why didn't I just buy it?" Who cares if it wasn't in perfect condition. For 25 cents she could wear it once and then give it to D.I. She gets her clothes all messy at daycare anyway... might as well buy them from a garage sale. Oh well. Sean got a DVD player for $5 and it works great. It has a 5 disc changer so he can put it in the garage and play CD's. While he and Guns-N-Roses work on his truck.

* It is late and I must go to bed.

4 comments:

Kerri said...

You make me laugh, Shannon. I love the image of the 20 something Guns-N-Roses wannabes in your garage working on the truck with Sean. Hope it gets done quickly!

Heather said...

Awesome! Your life sounds way more exciting than mine.

I signed up at the YMCA today...I know that discouraged feeling. I just went to sign up and didn't even exercise and I feel like I should have at least lost a pound for the effort.

I can't wait to meet the new neighbors.

Tracy said...

Shannon, I love your ramblings - they make me smile! And I am a garage sale freak - my favorite way to spend a Saturday morning!

Hayes Family said...

I hate garage sales....I could stay at home and rummage through a bunch of junk and most of it would look new to me :) I do love your outlook on exercising though. We need to compare notes...I'll try the deavy drinking and you try the exercise and we'll see where we end up LOL I hear ya on the teenager thing. I can't even be nice to patients anymore that roll their eyes at me. I just write "patient doesn't seem to care about their teeth" in their chart.