Saturday, August 11, 2012

Freak of Nature Part 2

So I went and got my hair done this week.  I don't love it.  Somehow when I walked through the door to the salon, all my brain cells quit functioning.  The stylist was talking to me about what I wanted, and she suggested a little different color than what I've been doing, and I said fine, and then she asked if I wanted to try to dye the unpigmented white hair that I have underneath and increasingly throughout my hair, and I said.... sure.  Why not.  She asked if we'd ever tried it before, and I said no, and at that moment I could not remember why.  It took exactly 4 hours and 15 minutes and 4 stylists working on my hair for me to remember why I never try to dye the white parts.  Oh yeah, that one time, years ago, a stylist told me that she tried to dye a white spot in her client's hair and it turned purple.  That scared me.  Then I've been told by other stylists that unpigmented hair like that can be unpredictable.  That scared me.  Plus, even if it did take dye properly, I am very low-maintenance, and I don't want to have to re-do my hair every few weeks or else have large chunks of white roots showing.  But I didn't remember all of that until I was driving away.  Over 4 hours later.  Because, you see, the white parts turned purple.  Not a cute purple.  I would have said cool and left it at that.  No, a brownish muddy ugly color with a purplish tinge to it.  So she got the owner and the owner tried putting a reddish bronze on it and that helped tone it down and make it better.  By this time my stylist's next appointment was there, so two other sylists who didn't have clients at the time worked the rest of the red in, which took forever, because they were basically kinda scrubbing my hair with it.  So 4 hours, 15 minutes, 4 stylists, and $100 later... and it looks eh.  If anyone ever wonders why I don't do more with myself, this is why.  Because it doesn't make a difference.  I'm not meant to be one of those women who looks all put together.  Some of the stylists there remember me because of my funky hair.  Love being a freak of nature.  Maybe they could take my DNA and study me too like the UofU.  The owner and my stylist were both like, "Oh, I love a challenge!" and "I love a project!"  Just trying to be all positive and not let me know they were freaking out inside over the insane color my hair had just turned.  But I don't wanna be a challenge or a project!  Wah! 

We had a garage sale this morning.  We didn't make a ton of money, but we really didn't have that much stuff, and what we did have wasn't all that great.  Nothing was priced above a couple bucks, and I was just giving stuff away.  So I feel pretty good about it.  We got rid of almost everything and just had one little load in the back of the truck.  I see no point when having a yard sale in bartering with people.  Seriously.  People are paying me to haul my junk away so I don't have to?  I'm not going to argue.  Whatever you offer me is what I'm taking.  Why turn someone's money down just to have to take it to DI later? 

3 comments:

Heather said...

Oh my. The salon totally should have comped the dye job, as in given it to you for free. Sounds like a long day. Ya know, a lot of people pay a lot of money to get their hair to do what your does naturally, so don't knock it. You need to post a picture. I'll bet it looks great. I have been thinking about dying my hair lately. I think I just need a change. I've never dyed my hair though and I'm scared. Because I don't have the money/ambition/desire to keep up with it. Hmm.

Lauralee said...

I agree w/ Heather, they shouldn't have made you pay!

Sorry! What a bummer of a deal-

I got some blonde put in my hair last year- and have had to do it again... and now I dont' know how to stop, cause I don't want them to mess w/ the red, but I don't like how it looks all grown out either. Hair.... I would shave it all off if I could get away with that!

Garage sales... I have been cleaning out closets and such and kinda want to do a sale, but then again, I don't know... might be worth a little extra money- especially if one of the 47 jobs I have applied for dont' call me for an interview!

Anonymous said...

That's too funny. I've totally had botch hair jobs. Although mine was with a haircut. I wanted a change. So I though hey haven't had bangs since I was like 7 years old...why not? um...why not is because I look absolutely hideous with them. I cried. Then proceeded to chop the rest of my hair off into a pixie. Yup. Been there, done that.